Friday, October 30, 2015

You Can Teach An Old Gal New Tricks!

Music Brings People Together!
I picked up my guitar this week after many years of looking at it in the corner of my bedroom. I have to say it felt good! The last time I decided I was going to learn how to play was over 10 years ago. I forgot how much I enjoyed getting lost for an hour or so attempting to figure out the chords. It isn't easy. To have a sound come from my guitar that even remotely resembles a song, is no easy task!
When the notice appeared on the bulletin board at work for Guitar lessons I was excited! Its not everyday a person gets to learn the guitar while at work. Why attempt again after all these years? I guess for me , my love of music. I love how music brings people together. I love how I can incorporate music into my volunteering at the hospital and watch the joy it brings into some of my patients faces as we sing and dance. How as they listen it may bring them back to a place and time of joy.
I watched my father over the years pull out his guitar and play a tune for many who visited our home, and the fun times had as other instruments from the accordion, spoons, ugly sticks would soon appear. I've always wanted to learn how to play as well as my dad and  be able to play with him. I suppose that started my desire to learn over 10 years ago how to play this instrument.
I haven't been able to master it yet. In fact, I am basically starting from scratch again. The tops of my fingers are sore, ouch! My hands are still too small making it difficult to hit all the chords, and  I'm a lefty which adds another complexity when learning with a bunch of right handed players! Urghhhh! Its tempting at this age to pack it in and say forget it but that's simply not my style.

Truth is, I'm having fun! I love a challenge. It isn't about being perfect or sounding perfect.  I enjoy getting together with the bunch of learners in the above picture, have a few laughs and see what music we can make over the next few months! We have the C, G and D chords covered. To my surprise headway was made in just one hour with You are My Sunshine! Oh ya we are singing too...yikes!

If there is something you want to try- I encourage you to give it a shot! You are never to old to learn something new! Life is too short - Live it bold!


No comments:

Post a Comment