Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Lessons You Teach

The Yellow Hibiscus is a symbol of Happiness, Sunshine

By all accounts my hibiscus plant really should be dead. Seriously, anyone who knows me , knows my history with flowers. In fairness to the flowers, I did forget to water them on occasion. Knowing the right humidity levels, how to treat leaf damage, bugs, I admit were not on the top of my interest level. I love flowers but if I am honest, I  gave up hope of  ever becoming a green thumb and having the most beautiful garden. Then came along my hibiscus..a beautiful gift from my best friend after my gallbladder surgery.

Coming up on 2 years since I received the plant and its STILL ALIVE!

This isn't an ordinary plant, but rather its extraordinary in my eyes!!!

So far since under my watch, I have washed its roots because it ended up with a disease, this process ended up costing me $500 dollars to have a plumber come to my home to unclog my drains, a day long process ( No, I didn't quite think thru that one first) . In winter months cinnamon is sprinkled around the soil to avoid mold. This year, as leaves were dying , I knew something wasn't right, after much trial and error and research, the plant ended up in my shower to rid it of spider mites. I bring it in the house in the summer during heavy rain and wind storms, it sits under the lights during dull days in the fall and in the winter it has a special place in the window. Finding the right watering frequency during each season has been a chore! 
This plant has tested every ounce of my gardening expertise and patience. Quite frankly it is a lot of work but I LOVE IT so I CARE for it! 

Why put in the effort? Well, I guess the lessons drawn from this flower is the simple answer..it's been a journey to say the least:
  • If you want something to grow you must nurture and care for it not only in the optimal times but in the challenging times. Seek out the problem and find a solution
  • Don't be afraid to ask for advice when you are struggling for answers 
  • Don't be afraid to take action even if you make a mistake 
  • Each bloom is magnificent and unique in its own right. No two are the same but they can bring so much joy 
  • Each bloom stays for a moment in time then it dies. The plant must live without that bloom and find a way to carry on. Enjoy it while it lasts!   
  •  With each season you have to adapt to needs. Even if you aren't prepared , if you love something enough you WILL  find a way. Love can grow and bloom once it adapts to the changes
  • When it doesn't feel loved or cared for it will slowly die. You are given warning signs and if you chose to ignore don't be surprised by the outcome.
  • Take time to bask in the beauty of color and the simple little flower.
  • Waking up to a new bloom and watching it as it slowly opens..brings so much joy to this gal's heart.

For every bloom this plant produces that my eyes have witnessed,  I take a picture and each one  shared with my best friend. Its not just my plant anymore , it's our plant. We talk about the beauty,  the lessons and the journey.

Who knew when I received this gift that these lessons would be revealed to me.  It's been an incredible journey . Excited for what this plant has in store in the days, weeks and months to come..! 

Paying attention to the gifts we receive are as important as the gifts we discover inside ourselves..and the gifts that live inside ourselves allow us to give gifts to others! Life is funny like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment