Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Smile Bound

Eight months ago the mission to raise 200 smiles for Operation Smile began. I set a personal goal to raise 20 smiles and be one of the employees Johnson & Johnson Canada would sponsor to be a part of an operation smile mission. The first day I remember sitting in our conference area listening to the Dr
, I knew I had to be a part of this. What followed in the months ahead was amazing as family, friends and colleges supported my goal and together we raised $6700 surpassing my personal goal allowing me to be the top fundraiser and attend a mission.
To add to this our IT team took on their own challenge and raised money to bring Luke to Canada so I could take him with me and give to a child.
Fast forward to today, day before I depart to Guatemala to join a team of 50 volunteers who over the next 15 days will perform 120 surgeries bringing new smiles and hope to children and their families.
Everyone tells me this will be a life changing event and an incredible experience. That is a given and I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. 

Today I am reminded of the following "If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes -then learn how to do it later"  I can tell you that is true because while I am indeed excited, I must be honest I'm scared. I don't know what I am doing other than I will learn when I get there. 

I know feeling scared is normal and if there is one thing I have learned in life..with any new challenge we must be brave enough to follow our dreams and not let fear stop us. 
So my suitcase is packed with toys, stuffed animals, clothes, coloring book's  and my essentials..and of course Luke has a special seat for the journey. 

I read a fitting posting by Elizabeth Gilbert that went like this
"Your fear is the most boring thing about you. We think our fears are precious and special 
but they aren't. WE are precious and special,but our fears are not"

Tomorrow Luke and I are smile bound, I will turn him over to a special child who will give Luke a new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment