Sunday, October 5, 2014

I Had A Dream...and It Came True

 In September my sister and I traveled to Italy to take part in the Friends in Italy Walking Tour. Travelling to Italy has been a dream of mine for years. At the beginning of the year the opportunity presented itself when Pamela Haack owner of Off the Beaten Strada sent out her monthly email advising spaces were available for the tour. I read the itinerary she put together for this 13 day trip and I knew this was something I had to take part in. Long story short within 24 hours my sister and I were signed up.

 To say I was excited was an understatement. I couldn't wait to get there and see if all the things I had read , seen and heard about Italy were true. Our trip took us to Rome, Cinque Terre, Tuscany, Umbria and all the places in between. 13 days of exploring medieval villages, Duomo's unlike anything I have ever seen, views that took us above the clouds, over the Mediterranean ocean,  vineyards lined with lushes grapes, mountain tops that glistened with marble. There were sunrises , sunsets, harvest moonlight, sunflowers and even wild poppy's. Locals sharing their artistic talents from painting, ceramics, wood making, copper making. Countless flavors of gelato...I made it thru 20 and each day I found my new favorite flavor.
 We stayed in quaint little hotels that were filled with warmth and charm.
 My favorite being the Villa in Fabro.
Agriturismo Il Colombaio http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1006066-d969369-Reviews-s1-Agriturismo_Il_Colombaio-Montegabbione_Province_of_Terni_Umbria.html

How do I even describe the Villa other than if you are ever in Umbria, this is a place to stay. Irma and her family are simply delightful and made each of us feel at home during our stay. A peaceful place with stunning views no matter what direction you choose to face. The meals were outstanding. I cannot say enough about the place where doves fly.
 Every expectation I had was blown out of the ball park. It was beyond my wildest expectations.  Pamela had indeed taken us off the Beaten Strada and shown us a side of Italy that was unique and special. The history beyond my comprehension , my senses opened and awake.
Beyond the views, the food, the wine the most special of all was the people. Each person we met was warm and kind, happy to share their culture with us. They were patient as I attempted to speak some Italian and I am sure sounded pitiful but they were happy to help me learn .
Most of all, we arrived to spend 13 days with 12 other ladies we never met before. As many of us ladies know that can be a disaster.
It was no disaster. In fact ,  a special thing that happened.
We laughed until our stomach's hurt, we shared stories over wine and the most amazing meals, we listened to music as the sun set,we walked for just 5 more minutes every day..and fell in love with our four legged friends Miele and Oliva

... by the end of the 13 days became new friends and  we departed our journey and went home. This was the most unexpected gift of my dream..to meet such beautiful ladies who carried themselves with  grace, each unique in their own way..  even in such a short time touched my heart and taught me a great deal, more than they will ever know.

Had I not decided to follow my dream and book this trip...I would have never had this journey and never met this group of inspiring ladies. The other nice thing..I think it was a trip of a life time for my sister too!!

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh


If you are thinking about a trip to Italy and its your first time..I highly recommend you contact Pamela Haack and invest in a personal tour guided trip. I promise you , you will not be disappointed. This lady's love for Italy , her knowledge and contacts she will ensure you see Italy in a way no one else can!!


I wrote a poem to capture my 13 day journey, words that come from my heart and dedicated to the ladies that made my dream that much more special. I hope it inspires others to visit Italy one day.

I had a Dream…
I had a dream to one day visit the shoe
In Sept 2014 that dream came true

I feel the passion ooze from each person we meet
So patient and kind and incredibly sweet

Vatican gold and secrets of sin
Here is where the history and stories begin

Marble sculptures detailed to perfection
Grand Roman Piazza’s and Fabio’s blushing complexion

Bruno takes us away from the crazy Roma city hustle
At a gas station Genny attracts
Some studley Roman muscle

Toilets are different and now we must squat
Melissa gets stage fright to be honest
This position is not all that hot

Majestic views of the Tuscan hills
The smells of the Mediterranean ocean gives me warm Sept chills

Cyprus trees the staggering shades of green
Like detailed patchwork on my grandmothers quilt
Its unlike anything I have ever seen

Monterossa your roads scared us so
Winding around the mountain we survive to find your beauty below

Cinque Terre does not disappoint, looking over the sea my heart skips a beat
We explore 5 villages with uneven cobble stones
Wobbling under my feet

Sweet Gelato is sinfully piled
So many flavors to drive the palate wild

The smells of leather in the Florence stores
In Montepulciano the vino and art galore

Senor Ceazare is charming Attentionné s’il vous plait
On this little copper shop I stand in awe, generations of excellence
What more can I say

Every meal is flavorable a taste beyond compare
I close my eyes and savor
Eat more if you dare

Orvieto treats us to handmade ceramics and olive wood
So pleasing to the eye
As I roam through her Duomo, I take a breathe and sigh

I touch the history this structure contains
Centuries of artwork its mind-blowing what remains

I admire the picturesque land at each stop we make
My senses are blissfully awake

Etched in my mind are the memories of this trip
I will remember with a smile with each glass of vino I sip

Time has come to harvest the life of this land
I can’t believe I held such sweet fruit deep purple and yellow in the
Palm of my hand

Like a child with great love the grapes are nurtured until the grow
Careful steps taken to mature them and when it’s time to sell
They proudly let the wine go

The Etruscan tombs eerie a serene somber place
Names of the dead engraved in stone I can’t help but
Touch as I explore with curiosity upon my face

Fields lined with ochre yellows and sienna brown
The sunflowers gracefully bow their heads to the ground

Cornita’s filled with surprises, I feel the contentment
Glide across my face
We listen to Pamela share stories
How do you say in English?
With such theatrics & grace 

With Marletta’s shoulders covered and her knees left open
Sandra and Ella drink wine like the pro’s
Terry is charming and full of wit, what flows out of her mouth
No one ever knows

Nina gives lessons on the each electronic device
Capturing shots of everyone and posting on facebook
She is really cool and so so nice

Poor Donna got bit and had a shot in her bum
Debbie spots a flock of parrots in Palisade park
Will we ever get out of here before dark?

Judy needs a bank is there one in this place
Virginia is off wandering with a smile on her face

The fabric in Fabro is eloquent and unique
Rosanna treats us well in her chic little boutique

Pienza the pecorino and chingale are everywhere we go
The rain is upon us so off to Pope Piccolomi castle,
The strategic plan walk real slow

Despite the cold and wet day
We find a quaint little restaurant hidden away
It’s here I find my handsome Italian man
I might have to come visit again this magical land

Emanule and Ermano drive us around with such care
Finding such gentleman back home is often quite rare

Our day in Montalcino with the ladies of Pianello
Was for me a highlight
For the record my favorite gelato just might be lemoncello

Yet after today,  I think I might change my mind the trilogy of flavors
The Vanilla was one of a kind

Donkeys are braying , in the churches locals are praying
A peacock exists that I never did see
Cornelis the goat he rides in the car as content as can be

The vino flows as stories are shared about our day
The harvest moon shines brightly as we manga and laugh the night away

Feeling blessed my heart is over flowing
13 precious women have come into my life
And I am leaving my dream
Better for knowing

Not one day has been taken for granted
The love of Italy and all this history
The seeds now planted

Irma and family the hospitality they show
Going above and beyond
Makes it harder to go

Time at their villa was amazing and unlike all the rest
Lisa and Pamela you are truly special
And simply the best

How can we forget little Miele and Oliva
They have stolen our hearts, the cutest by far
I really hope those teeth marks on Pamela’s hand don’t leave a scar

In San Casciano dei Bagni Daniela gives us a treat
A secret visit to her home and marvelous
Lunch at her restaurant on the street

The spa was a relaxing superb end to the day
Water treatments and massages I feel like floating away

Our time here has ended and who knows if the Wally’s
Were every truly found
We only care that our Bella Genny is with us safe and sound

So Ladies tonight lets raise our glasses
To the Friendships we made, go home and extend the passion of Italy
She tenderly gave
To good health and to the pictures we will share
Remember each story with kind loving care

Ciao amica mia’s may your memories of our time spent together always last
As this moment in time will gently fade into the past

I had a dream….
And it came true, with great love and gratitude I thank each one of you.


Love Tracey (Sept 14, 2014) 
Copywrite Yes You Can

No comments:

Post a Comment