Monday, November 10, 2014

Smile Bound-Update from Guatemala

Luke and I have been in Guatemala for 6 days and so far the experience is beautiful. My room has a great view of the three volcanos!
 Two days of screening brought in 200 families. Many traveled hours by bus with their child (children). The stories are both warming and heartbreaking at the same time. The love they have for their kids you can see in their eyes.
The team of nurses and Dr's are outstanding! Each volunteer their time to be here. For many it isn't their first mission. For some it's their 50+ mission and as they tell me , it's addictive. They are all passionate , kind, caring souls and I love being around this energy.
It is never we can't do it but more how can we find a way!

We spent a team day in Antigua which was stunning. This was the first capital city of Guatemala before an earthquake destroyed the city and they named Guatemala city the capital. Lots of history, churches and people eager to share their culture.

Day 1 of surgery was yesterday and it was beautiful. Twenty children received their new smiles. It was a long day for the kids and their parent but it was worth it. A very emotional day all around.

I wish I spoke Spanish so I could communicate better with the kids and their parents but I've learned a smile, and a hug break thru the barriers!

Today we do it all over again. FEELING GRATEFUL!



1 comment: