Sunday, October 7, 2012

Thanksgiving...a Different Twist?

During a nice long walk , I discovered myself not thinking about all the things I should be thankful for this year but oddly enough I thought about a variety of things I am thankful I don't have. Sounds strange doesn't it...maybe a bit awful but stick with me for a moment.

As I was thinking of the things I am thankful I don't have, here is what surfaced:
I am thankful I don't :
  • have to live in a country where men treat women like property and children are taught to kill.
  • have a fancy car or model home because it reminds me that I don't need nice things to make me happy and that I am content with what I do have.
  • have to use the services of a food bank but it reminds me how real a problem hunger is and that people close to home do need to rely on these services and I am capable of helping for I never know if one day it may be me or a member of my family needing those very services.
  • have a perfect body because I don't think I could keep up with the pressure of trying to maintain it or the vanity that goes along with it. My goal is to remain healthy and simply be happy with the body I have.
  • have a perfect life..I have problems, made mistakes, screwed up , fell down and because of it all I learned valuable lessons, learned to accept ownership for my screw ups and make amends , I learned to dust myself off and stand back up..I learned life wasn't meant to be perfect. I learned that every experience was mine to learn something from and that I need to keep an open mind, take risks and not be afraid to screw up.
  • have to be silent and that my thoughts and opinions are as valuable as everyone else who has a voice.
  • have a serious disease , it helps me stay mindful of all those who do and the courage and strength they have and it makes me want to help in whatever way I can and not to take life for granted. 
  • have to say good-bye to a love one today..for a I have watched many over the course of this year have to do that. It keeps me mindful how precious life is and the importance of making the most of time while on earth..it keeps me humble.
Whether there are things in life to be thankful you have or don't have..perhaps its all a matter of how you choose to look at it and I suppose taking something from a negative perspective you can still  find the good in it..the choice is always ours to make!  Now there is something to be thankful for..CHOICES!!

So I think I choose to go and enjoy a glass of red wine! Bottom's up!
Happy Thanksgiving
With love
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment