Sunday, April 6, 2014

20 SMILES to Change Lives


Two weeks ago I had the privilege to hear Dr.Zucker from Sick Kids Hospital talk about the work Operation smile does. The story of Habimana was shared and as I watched and listened a lump in my throat grew and tears filled my eyes. Imagine children being judged and outcast? Imagine your own children having to go through something like that? We are so fortunate to live in a country where we have access to wonderful Dr's and support networks. While our society is not perfect and judgement exists I don't believe we can fully grasp what life is like in these places until we have lived a life in such circumstances. 

Habimana's story



I personally have a goal - TO BRING 20 SMILES to children and support the Operation Smile campaign to raise 200 smiles ..and to take part in the next Operation Smile Mission as my company Johnson & Johnson Medical Products will sponsor 2 employees to take part in this life changing journey. I WANT TO BE A PART OF THAT MISSION.

A smile changes everything...and I believe in the power of a smile. Nothing is more beautiful than seeing a child smile.

I feel very blessed and fortunate to have a healthy son who is now 20 years old. His smile from the day he was born warms my heart. I feel very blessed to have watched my niece and nephew grow up to be healthy adults and see them smile. I very blessed and grateful to see my great nieces smile. Three beautiful children who when I see them smile it makes me want to smile. Their laugh makes me want to laugh. 

Now...Let me tell you why I have chosen to support Operation Smile, and you’ll see how your contribution can transform a child’s life. Every three minutes it is estimated that somewhere in the world a child is born with a cleft. These children can’t eat or speak properly. They are often socially isolated, don’t play with other children or even attend school. They may never have a chance to reach their full potential.
I think about those children who are judged and outcast by their peers and in some cases their own families and my heart breaks. 

In as few as 45 minutes and for as little as $240, this can all change. A life can be transformed forever with a free surgery that will restore hope – and a beautiful smile.

When my company announced they wanted to be a part of this and I listened to stories I knew this is something I wanted to be a part of as well.

 If I am chosen to be a part of operation smile mission I will  post updates here so I can take along everyone who has supported me on the journey and who can see the difference 20 smiles can make! 

You can support me by





No comments:

Post a Comment