Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Olympic Attitude Lives in Us All

Getting caught up in the Olympic spirit I watched a few events since the opening ceremonies,  each time I watch I am in awe of these men and women. Regardless of who wins the medal , I find myself  teary eyed each time they stand on the podium and their national anthem is played. The look of pride in their eyes , the realization that the dream they visioned and worked so hard for has final materialized into reality. WOW!
I read a blog post by Jian Ghomesh that started me thinking! Q Essay - Jian Ghomeshi
I watched and read the many "disappointing" comments made by people around Patrick Chan's silver medal finish. I say disappointing because ,  I guess they figured he should have won Gold and made no bones expressing their opinions without thinking about what it takes to get that far. Shame on these people for judging so harshly. Unless you are an Olympic Athlete I am not sure you have any right to judge in such a critical way. Let's not forget the courage, incredible character and love these athletes have for their sport. The kindness they show to one another , how they represent their country outside of their sport.  No one will judge them any more harshly than they will themselves. That is my opinion.

As I was thinking, I thought about the characteristics of such an athlete and came up with my top 5 :

  1. Focus - the ability to stay true to what you believe in and dedicate your life for a moment in time to achieving the end state goal you have set for yourself is remarkable. The ability to work/perfect  the process of performance and not the final outcome
  2. Confidence - the ability to believe in yourself, that you can learn new skills, that you can do anything you set your mind to. 
  3. Perseverance- the ability to not give up. On the days when it may not be optimal , days when you are down, days when there are critics. The days when you figure it out and you want to get better or do better. 
  4. Fatigue/Recovery- the ability to recognize when your body , mind and spirit need rest. Taking the time and realizing it isn't a weakness but rather a necessity to restore the balance so performance can improve. Utilizing support and resources when needed.
  5. Optimism- the ability to know that even when the bad hours , days , weeks creep in and life throws those unexpected curve balls that it is a temporary state. Using mistakes as learning platforms to get better and not dwell it. 

The inspiring thing as I was thinking through my top five (I'm sure there are many more I have missed) I realized how we all have the ability within us to develop these characteristics. In fact, I believe they all live within us , it's a matter of whether or not we choose to recognize them and develop them.

The Olympic attitude lives in us all...ponder that for moment. Enjoy the final week of the 2014 Olympics and please permit me to show my Canadian pride and say how proud I am of all our Athletes in Sochi.

I also want to express a special shout out Joann Greeley. A high school friend of mine who has recognized these characteristics in herself and as a result of her hard work and dedication has been nominated to participate in the Bold Vision 2014  Conference Panel. She is an electrician by trade and believes that women can do whatever they put their mind to. I am very excited for her and wish her luck as I know she would be an excellent addition to the panel setting a collaborative vision for Women in Canada.  Check out her story at A Bold Vision to learn more.

www.aboldvision.ca












No comments:

Post a Comment